Tomnabat Hotel
Tomnabat Hotel operated from 1937 until 1959 and stood at the south end of Tomintoul's Main Street. This grey stone two-and-a-half storey house was located under the shadow of Tom na Bat hill (526m) where the Delnabo Road joins Main Street.
> | > |
View from Main Street | View from the Delnabo road |
John Anderson chanced upon the property in 1936 while holidaying at Tomintoul and was greatly taken with both the house and the village. The property had originally been a shooting lodge, later becoming the home of the local doctor who had used its two front rooms for a surgery, waiting area and dispensary.
The house was large and spacious, with generous bay windows to the front and a sunny, glass conservatory on the south-east. The first floor had a number of large bedrooms with two shared bathrooms and a WC on the half-landing. Upstairs there were two or three attic bedrooms. A fenced yard enclosed several out-buildings, including garages, storage sheds, wash-room and even hen houses and laying sheds.
> |
John Anderson standing at the entrance |
After the death of John Anderson, in 1955, the hotel was run by John's widow. In 1959, the hotel was sold and renamed the White Heather Hotel. That hotel was badly damaged by fire in 1984 and the building was subsequently demolished.
> | > |
Site of Tomnabat Hotel - 1998 | Main Street - 1998 |